Saturday, April 22, 2006

Companioned By The Sea

My little house rides like a gull
High on the shore above the bay
By the slow passage of the tides
I measure out my day
There is much that life withholds
There is much that life denies
I am content, and most content
With seaward gazing eyes

My dreams sail with the tall white ships
Though I must ever bide at home
I share the blue of singing space
The bitter kiss of foam
The pageantry of storm and cloud
The mystery of the ebb and flow
The song of water as I sleep
All of these I know

No lesser joy can dim the spell
Of quietly enchanted hours
When the sea wore reflected stars
Upon her breast like flowers
Brine scented dawns, seafaring greens
How richly these have dowered me
That I should go through all my days
Companioned by the sea


Companioned By the Sea
Marjorie Howell

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home